If you only think of kids and teens when you think about orthodontic treatment, it’s time to reconsider that notion. Orthodontics is not just for youth anymore — the American Association of Orthodontics reports that adult orthodontic patients 21 or older now comprise more than 20% of all orthodontic patients, including both men and women.
Orthodontic Treatment Improves Whole-Body Health
Evidence links properly aligned teeth and a healthy jaw and bite to improved overall health. Orthodontic treatment is no longer just about improving the aesthetics of your smile (though that’s still a great reason to pursue treatment!). As society becomes more health conscious, more adult patients than ever before are choosing orthodontic care as part of a trend toward a healthy lifestyle and increased longevity.
In addition to the improved confidence and self-esteem that comes with a newly perfected smile, the whole-body health benefits for adult orthodontic patients are plentiful.
- Better Oral Hygiene: Straight teeth allow for easier and more effective brushing and flossing.
- Healthier Gums: Gum disease is more common with misaligned teeth, and can lead to tooth loss and health problems elsewhere in the body, such as heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia.
- Improved Digestion: A healthy bite and straight teeth ensure properly chewed food; poorly chewed food can lead to digestive issues. When the jaw or teeth are misaligned, some foods must be avoided altogether.
Customized Treatment Options for Adult Orthodontic Patients
Orthodontic care is no longer restricted to traditional metal braces with rubber bands. Today’s options include new and innovative types of braces:
- Ceramic braces, which are made of a clear material so they are much less noticeable.
- Damon Smile® Self-ligating braces, which utilize metal or ceramic brackets, but have a 33% smaller bracket, do not require the use of elastics, and have a significantly shorter treatment time.
- Invisalign® Clear Aligners braces alternative, which are our most convenient and aesthetic treatment option, and are largely preferred among adult orthodontic patients.
To further shorten treatment time and discomfort, Weber Orthodontics offers AcceleDent®, a revolutionary optional treatment addition that can move teeth up to 50% faster, while also greatly reducing the mouth pain associated with your care.
No matter your age or gender, it’s never too late to perfect your smile, gain the self-confidence you’ve always wanted, and take the next step to ensuring your overall health. Your first office visit is always complimentary, so you’ve got nothing to lose. Dr. Weber is currently accepting adult orthodontic patients.